Salford Red Devils 6-52 St Helens – Match Report

Super League champions St Helens racked up half a century as they eased past the Salford Red Devils 6-52 at the AJ Bell Stadium.

Joe Greenwood, Jordan Turner and Mark Percival all grabbed braces for the Saints. Whilst Luke Thompson, Tommy Makinson, Louie McCarthy-Scarsbrook and Andre Savelio also got on the score sheet.

Ben Jones-Bishop was the only Red Devil to cross the line however, much like his efforts last week, it didn’t really help Salford.

Mark Percival scored 20 points for Saints

Dr Koukash watched with a look of disappointment. It wasn’t just the scoreline which will worry Salford as Corey Patterson, Kevin Locke and Michael Dobson all left the field with injuries.

Saints coach Kieran Cunningham said: “I’m over the moon with the performance particularly our second half display.”

This result makes it two wins from two for Saints as they go into their World Club Challenge fixture next weekend against NRL Premiers South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Salford coach Iestyn Harris said: “We’re bitterly disappointed the attitude just wasn’t their tonight and we got beat in every department.”

It’s now two losses from two for the Red Devils. However they started the game well applying a lot of pressure to the Saints line without scoring.

Salford paid for their lack of a killer instinct as Saints were first off the mark. Percival crossed before Turner followed in similar fashion.

Saints celebrate one of their 10 tries
Saints celebrate one of their 10 tries

Nineteen year old Greenwood would score his first of the evening hitting a James Roby ball at pace metres from the line. Saints began to take control.

Cunningham said: “He’s a super kid and we’ve got a great production line at Saints it could be Joe Greenwood’s year.”

On a very bleak evening for the Red Devils the only glimmer of light game from new signing Jones-Bishop. He caught a Makinson kick before running 70 yards splitting the Saints defence before going under the sticks.

However Saints restored their 14 point advantage just before half time when Thompson crashed over. The onslaught continued into the second half as Makinson finished well just two minutes after the restart.

Whilst Jones-Bishop had provided the most promising moment for Salford he was also a contributor to the Red Devils defensive errors.

He completely misjudged Wilkin’s high kick which Percival would get to and touch down for this second of the evening. McCarthy Scarsbrook drove his way over a few moments later.

Frustration was clearly setting in for the Red Devils when Gareth Hock who had already been put on report for a knee was sin-binned for a swinging forearm.

Harris said: “We didn’t have composure in any part of our game tonight we looked frantic.”

The visitors showed no sympathy to a twelve man Salford side as Thompson and Turner both grabbed their second try each. Coincidentally both very similar to their first tries.

Savelio got Saints past the half century. Wilkin’s high kick was collected by Percival who offloaded to the former Latchford Albion man to score his second try in two games.

Saints now sit proudly atop of the Super League table like they did for the most of last season. A perfect result going into their World Club Challenge clash.

As for Salford its two defeats from two and there is a lot of work to do before they face Hull FC in a fortnight’s time.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s