Hull FC 12-43 Leeds Rhinos – Match Report

Leeds Rhinos scored 43 unanswered second half points to make it four wins from four this season as they defeated Hull FC at the KC Stadium.

The unbelievable second half performance saw Brad Singleton, Kallum Watkins and Kylie Leuluai all score. Whilst Danny McGuire and Rob Burrow also grabbed a braces in the second forty.

Leeds players celebrate another try
Leeds players celebrate another try

Hull went into the break 12-0 up after two tries from Leon Pryce. However it was cancelled out in the space three minutes in the second half.

Leeds captain Kevin Sinfield said: “We got some control back in the second half and starved Hull of possession like they did to us in the first half.”

He added: “We’re four wins from four so we’re very happy.”

Hull FC captain Gareth Ellis said: “When we face adversity we need to better and dig deep but we’ll be keen to get back out there and get into a routine.”

The first half was dominated by Super League veteran Pryce who put in an outstanding display. Hull came out of the blocks fast and hard dominating the early periods of the game.

A Marc Sneyd kick would be collected by Pryce who rose above Zak Hardaker and Danny McGuire before planting the ball down to give the black and whites an early lead.

It was Pryce who doubled the home side’s lead when he stepped through the defence before spinning over the line. Hull were comfortable as they went in for the interval.

Leeds coach Brian McDermott said: “We weren’t in the game Hull were too quick.”

He added: “We realised if it goes to 18-0 it’s going to be tough to come back from.”

McDermott’s half time decision to bring on youngster Singleton turned out to be a fantastic one as he completely changed the pace of Leeds’ play. Singleton broke after rounding Joe Westerman before he offloaded to McGuire who finished off with ease.

McGuire would return the favour just moments later as he set up Singleton for his try. The big forward came crashing onto a short ball and the Hull defenders had no chance of stopping him. Hull’s lead had been cancelled in the space of a few minutes.

Singleton said: “Luckily we had a fast start to the second half the whole team started to cut out the errors.”

The game really was a tale of two halves with Pryce dominating the first whilst Watkins was centre stage in the Rhinos rampage. Watkins managed to break out wide before McGuire was in support to get his second of the evening.

Watkins was key to Leeds success
Watkins was key to Leeds success

Sinfield converted and by doing so he surpassed the great John Woods’ Rugby League points scoring tally.

Watkins soon broke again this time right through the centre of the Hull defence. His sheer pace and determination saw him beat full-back Jamie Shaul to the line as Leeds began to pull away. Leuluai would join the scorers club as he powered his way over the Hull FC line.

Rhino’s continued their free scoring when Hardaker left the defence for dead as he broke from deep before offloading to Burrow who would score. Burrow also scored the final try of the game when he got onto the end of his own neat little chip from yards out.

Both of these tries were either side of a Kevin Sinfield drop goal.

A convincing victory for Leeds who face a tough trip to Warrington next Friday. Hull FC also face a tricky away day as they face Wigan on the same night.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s