NRL Round-Up: Round Two

The big game in Round Two saw the Sydney derby between South Sydney Rabbitohs and Sydney Roosters on Sunday morning. It was the Rabbitohs who made it two wins from two as they defeated the Roosters 34-26 however they were behind for a large portion of the match.

Dylan Walker opened the scoring and got the home side off to a strong start. This before Alex Johnston finished off a length of

Alex Johnston grabbed two tries for Souths
Alex Johnston grabbed two tries for Souths

the field play when centre Greg Inglis broke from his own line before giving it to Johnston to finish, surely the try of the round.

However the Roosters soon hit back with a period of dominance. First winger Daniel Tupou crossed in the corner before a Michel Jennings double. His first came after he took advantage of a high kick which was allowed to bounce and he was he first to react, he grabbed his second just minutes later. Their pressure continued in the early stages of the second half when Dylan Napa crossed for a try.

Big George Burgess got the Rabbitohs back in touching distance but Shaun Kenny-Dowalls finish in the corner took it back to and eight point game. Alex Johnston’s second of the day started the Rabbitohs revival. Joel Reddy got the home side in front when he finished on the back of some fantastic half play before Hooker Isaac Luke rounded of the comeback in the last minute.

Penrith Panthers also made it two from two with their 40-0 mauling of the Gold Coast Titans. The Panthers only went into the break at 8-0 though through Jamal Idris and Dean Whare tries, Whare taking advantage of a spilled bomb. The floodgates opened in the second forty though as Idris powered over twice to earn himself a hat-trick. Whare got a second as well as George Jennings and Sika Manu going over, full-back Matt Moylan being instrumental. Bryce Cartwright’s 79th minute try was Penrith’s eighth of the game and topped off the biggest victory of the NRL season so far.

Wests now sit in third in the league after a comfortable 22-4 victory over St George on Monday, with all of the tries coming in the first half. Kevin Naiqama scored after just six minutes. Full-back James Tedesco who assisted Naigama’s try got over himself just minutes later before being involved in Pat Richards first of the evening. Richards then crossed for his brace, in similar fashion to round one. Wests had a twenty point lead in just twenty minutes and a Dane Nielson try for the Dragons didn’t change Wests hold on the game. Richards sunk a late penalty goal to win the game by eighteen.

Newcastle were the final team to maintain their 100% start with a narrow 14-16 win at North Queensland, coming from 14-0

Joseph Leilua scored the winner for the Knights
Joseph Leilua scored the winner for the Knights

down in the process. The Cowboys started the stronger with tries coming from unlikely sources as second-rower Ethan Lowe and prop forward Matthew Scott fought their ways over. Thurston added a penalty goal to his two conversions. Knight Joseph Leilua scored just before half-time to start the fight back. Some brilliant off-the-cuff play from Newcastle saw winger Akuila Uate get in the corner before that man Leilua got over again with minutes remaining. Tyrone Roberts’ goal won Newcastle the game.

The Sea Eagles recovered from their first round defeat with after a close 24-22 victory over Melbourne. Steve Matai’s try was cancelled out by Young Tonumaipea’s effort for Melbourne. Manly then hit a real purple patch as Blake Leary latched onto a Daly Cherry-Evans kick which came between two Brett Stewart tries. The second half was all Melbourne’s as they attempted to storm to a comeback victory. Unfortunately for Melbourne two Blake Green tries and Will Chambers second of the season weren’t enough to earn a point.

After their convincing round one victory Parramatta went down 32-12 at Canterbury. Curtis Rona and Brett Morris made the most of the Bulldogs early pressure to put them 8-0 in front. However the Eels found their feet when last weeks hero Radrada scored before the interval. A double from Manu Ma’u in the space of three minutes put the visitors ahead. However it didn’t stay this way Sam Perrett got a double of his own for Canterbury. The men who opened the scoring also finished it as Brett Morris and Curtis Rona also got their second try each of the evening to round off a strong performance from the Bulldogs.

New Zealand Warriors and Canberra went in level at the break after Sisa Waqa’s try cancelled out Manu Vatuvei’s earlier effort. Warriors first try in the second period came from Solomone Kata before Ryan Hoffamn took a high bomb and finished well to wrap the game up . A very small scoring affair between Cronulla and Brisbane saw the Broncos edge it 2-10. Corey Oates and Lachlan Maranta scored the tries for Brisbane. Michael Gordon’s penalty goal was the only points for Cronulla.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s