Featherstone Rovers 28-16 Sheffield Eagles – Match Report

Sheffield suffered a third straight Championship defeat as they fell to a 28-16 against a Featherstone side who are still unbeaten at home.

Tries from Kyle Briggs and Jamie Cording late on secured the win for Featherstone after Briggs’ two penalty goals had edged them in front.

Rob Worrincy and Quentin Laula Togagae had given Sheffield the lead after Misi Taulapapa opened the scoring for Featherstone.

Cording’s first try followed one of from Andy Ellis which put the Rovers in front heading into half time but Keal Carlile snuck over in the final minutes which meant the sides went into the break level at 16-16.

Mark Aston had made changes to the Eagles side with Duane Straugheir started the game at centre in replace of an absent George Tyson, Scott Wheeldon started in the second-row and Mark Mexico was left out.

As for Featherstone they had four former-Eagles in their side – John Davies, Scott Turner, Kyle Briggs and Misi Taulapapa.

Featherstone capitalised on the first opportunity that fell their way as QLT dropped the ball from a Danny Craven kick. From the resulting play former-Eagle Taulapapa managed to fend off incoming challenges and forced his way over from close range.

The game was soon levelled when QLT turned provider for his own team as he found Worrincy who squeezed under the Rovers defence and scored in the corner. QLT was the man who finished the Eagles next try. Blackmore evaded two tackles to break from the halfway line before finding the Samoan full-back who raced in under the sticks.

Sheffield’s was soon cut short in an end-to-end half of Rugby. Ellis picked up the ball at Hooker before spinning and burrowing his way underneath the defence. Briggs missed the conversion however he slotted over a penalty around ten minutes later.

Blackmore was sin-binned for the second consecutive game after he had an altercation Taulapapa off the ball and the home side made the man advantage pay instantly. Second-rower Cording managed to hand off two Eagles defenders close to the line before crashing over. Briggs converted.

However, even with twelve men, the Eagles managed to score before half time when Carlile jumped from hooker and dived over the line. Knowles’ conversion ensured the teams were level at the interval.

As the second half progressed the game became more defence orientated with no side wanting to slip up. The Eagles turned away two opportunities to kick for goal and push themselves in front.

But the home side didn’t turn down the chance to develop a slender lead as Briggs slotted over a penalty with just over ten minutes remaining. Moments later he converted another penalty goal to extend the lead to four.

Featherstone grabbed control in the closing minutes crossing for two late tries. Briggs, who had given the Rovers the lead, furthered it when he stepped near the line and dived over before Cording finished off a Taulapapa break down the left hand flank. Briggs missed both conversions but it was still enough to consign the Eagles to defeat.

Featherstone: Hardman, Johnson, Tagg, Taulapapa, Turner; Briggs, Craven; Griffin, Ellis, Bostock, Cording, Davies, Spears.

Interchanges: Ormondroyd, Achurch, Baldwinson, Roche.

Sheffield: QLT, Worrincy, Yere, Straugheir, Blackmore; Aston, Hewitt; Thorpe, Carlile, Neal, Knowles, Wheeldon, Fozard.

Interchanges: Jacks, James, Minchella, Stringer.

Referee: M. Woodhead Touch Judges: J. Pullein & D. Bowmer.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s