Oldham Roughyeds 21-20 Sheffield Eagles – Match Report

Lewis Palfrey’s drop-goal was the difference as Sheffield Eagles fell 21-20 to the Oldham Roughyeds at Bower Fold.

Palfrey’s late one-pointer came just a few minutes after Matt James had levelled the scores at 20-20 however Cory Aston missed the conversion which would have given the Eagles the lead.

Oldham scored two quick tries in the early stages of the second half with both Michael Ward and Kenny Hughes crossing. A try from Matty Fozard followed to keep the Eagles in touching distance.

Sheffield actually led at half-time after Fozard and Menzie Yere both benefited from low grubber kicks. Liam Johnson’s long-range effort put the Roughyed’s on the board before the interval.

Rob Worrincy returned to the Eagles side following Garry Lo’s injury last week against Bradford whilst Michael Knowles came back into the side starting on the bench.

The Eagles took just over five minutes to open the scoring when Rhys Jacks’ low kick was collected by Fozard who spun and planted the ball down. Aston followed up with the conversion.

Both defences were working hard keeping chances to a minimum but the Eagles did manage to extend their lead. Another dangerous grubber kick, this time from Aston, was chased down by Yere who managed to ground the ball before it went dead. Aston converted.

Oldham didn’t go into the break scoreless however as Johnson reacted quickest to Aston’s low kick taking it on the full before racing eighty metres to score under the posts just before half-time. Palfrey converted.

The Roughyeds took control in the early stages of the second half crossing twice in the space for three minutes. Ward managed to force his way over for Oldham following a Richard Lepori break from deep inside his own half. Palfrey converted from in front of the sticks.

Just moments later back-to-back penalties took Oldham to the Eagles line again and this time Hughes jumped from hooker and burrowed his way under the Sheffield defenders to put the home side ahead. Palfrey converted.

Fozard notched his second try of the game when he threw a dummy and went over from a few yards out after Lepori had fumbled Jacks’ high bomb. However Aston skewed his kick wide meaning the Eagles trailed by two.

Sheffield continued to push forward as Keal Carlile was held-up over the line but another penalty for Oldham would allow Palfrey to kick for goal and extend the home sides lead to four points. The Eagles followed this by keeping the ball alive and earning a repeat set which allowed James to crash over to level the game. However, Aston again sliced his conversion.

Mark Mexico would then knock-on from the kick-off which gave Oldham and Palfrey position to kick a drop-goal to sneak back in front. Sheffield had one last attack and they opted to kick wide for the victory instead of putting over a drop-goal of their own. The kick was collected by Jamal Chisholm who was tackled in the air and the Eagles came away with nothing.

Eagles: QLT, Worrincy, Yere, Tyson, Millar; Aston, Jacks; Thorpe, Carlile, Neal, James, Straugheir, Fozard.

Interchanges: Minchella, Blagbrough, Knowles, Mexico.

Oldham: Lepori, Clay, Gee, Johnson, Chisholm; Palfrey, Roper; Joy, Owen, Dickinson, Thompson, Middlehurst, Hope.

Interchanges: Burke, Ward, Hughes, Spencer.

Referee: Jonathan Roberts. Attendance: 724


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s